Sunday, February 12, 2012

Vegan Enchiladas!

Evening everyone!


So I decided to start a new blog. My old one (Lindsay in South Africa) was great, but I'm no longer in South Africa. Much like my last blog this is going to be about everything. My life is so random, and with my love of questing, I can almost guarantee that if I were to try and make this about any one topic it would still end up being about everything. 


One thing I would like to try and keep consistent though is a food post on Sundays. Being a college student my Sundays are more or less devoted strictly to studying and eating. Recently instead of my usual Sunday foods of spiced up mac and cheese, ramen, pp&h(h=honey), or the occasional smoothie, I've been cooking full out meals for friends and/or my roommates. Some of them have been asking for the recipes and thought everyone would like to share in the joy, thus the idea of a food post on Sundays came about. 


Today I made Vegan Spinach Enchiladas!


Having been raised in Wisconsin I
was very generous with the cheese!
This recipes serves 6-8 people depending on the size tortilla you use, and if your feeding a group of boys or not. 


If you have zero of the spices that I used, and no vegetable oil, it will cost you about $21.57 to make.


I'm a bit of a slow chopper so it takes me about an hour and a half from start to finish to complete this dish.


 If you want this to be vegan all you have to do differently from directions below is use vegan flour tortillas and vegan cheese.


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch spinach or about 3/4 a large bag of spinach
1 pound tofu
1 cup black olives
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup picante sauce
6 flour tortillas
2 cups red enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (optional) 
Salt and pepper to taste


Preparation:

  • The red onion needs to be finely chopped. This is the most time consuming step. After chopping up my onion I placed it into a bowl. Then I took two garlic cloves, peeled them and chopped them up very fine. This can be added to the bowl of chopped up onions.
  • The olives I bought were whole and pitted. You can buy them this way or already sliced. It's up to you. Then you can leave them sliced or chop them up more a little more.
  • In regards to the tofu I prefer mine soft so that's what I used, but firm works just as well. You will have to drain the tofu and then mash it. I left it the container while mashing.
  • Final prep step is to coarsely chop up the spinach. 











Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8 inch square baking dish
  2. Add the oil to a large pan and place over medium heat. 
  3. Once the pan is warm add onion and garlic. Stir often for 1 minute.
  4. Add the spinach and stir often until the spinach is wilted.
  5. Add the tofu, olives, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and picante sauce. Stir often until it is hot.
  6. Pour 1/3 cup of the red enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
  7. Divide the mixture from your pan into 6 tortillas, and wrap them into burritos.
  8. Set the burritos inside the dish side by side, and pour the remaining enchilada sauce over top.
  9. Sprinkle with the cheese if you like.
  10. Bake for 25-30 mins or until sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted.
  11. Serve and enjoy!

Hope you enjoy it as much as my friends did!







No comments:

Post a Comment